On this page:
1 September 2021
About the Victorian Property Sales Report
The aim of the Victorian Property Sales Report is to present factual information relating to property sales occurring throughout Victoria over a period of 15 months.
The Victorian Property Sales Report provides the most comprehensive quarterly property data available. It represents 93 per cent of settled sales across the state and is based on official Notices of Acquisition.
Valuer-General Victoria commentary
Valuer-General Victoria has provided commentary for the March 2021 quarter – released September 2021.
The figures for the quarter are preliminary and represent 93 per cent of expected settled sales.
Median house price in Victoria
- Increased by 4.2 per cent from $660,000 to $688,000 in the March 2021 quarter, having increased by 13.8 per cent in the previous quarter (September 2020 to December 2020).
Median price of units in Victoria
- Increased by 1 per cent from $580,000 to $586,000 in the March 2021 quarter, having increased by 9 per cent in the previous quarter.
- The median price of units in Victoria for the March 2021 quarter was lower than the median price of houses.
Melbourne median house price
- Increased by 3.8 per cent to $812,000 in the March 2021 quarter and the median unit price increased by 0.8 per cent at $601,000.
- For the 12 months to March 2021, median sales prices in metropolitan Melbourne increased by 9.7 per cent for houses and 4.2 per cent for units.
- The median house price in country Victoria increased by 4.5 per cent, at $465,000
- Units increased by 2.9 per cent to $360,000.
- Over the 12 months to March 2021, median sale prices in country Victoria increased by 17.7 per cent for houses and by 18 per cent for units.
- Of the 779 listed Victorian locations, 442 had median house price increases for the March 2021 quarter compared to 442 in the December 2020 quarter.
- Nine localities recorded no change, 95 showed a decrease and 233 had insufficient sales.
Number of house sales
- The highest number of house sales for the quarter was 339 in Pakenham.
- There were 41 locations with 100 or more sales in the March 2021 quarter.
The Victorian Property Sales Reports are available on the Property sales statistics page.
Page last updated: 01/09/21