On this page:
4 June 2021
About the Victorian Property Sales Report
The aim of the Victorian Property Sales Report is to present factual information relating to property sales occurring throughout Victoria over a period of 15 months.
The Victorian Property Sales Report provides the most comprehensive quarterly property data available. It represents 93 per cent of settled sales across the state and is based on official Notices of Acquisition.
Valuer-General Victoria commentary
Valuer-General Victoria has provided commentary for the December 2020 quarter – released June 2021.
The figures for the quarter are preliminary and represent 93 per cent of expected settled sales.
Median house price in Victoria
- Increased by 13.2 per cent from $578,800 to $655,300 in the December 2020 quarter, having decreased by 6.7 per cent in the previous quarter (June 2020 to September 2020).
Median price of units in Victoria
- Increased by 8.8 per cent from $531,800 to $578,800 in the December 2020 quarter, having decreased by 5 per cent in the previous quarter.
- The median price of units in Victoria for the December 2020 quarter was lower than the median price of houses.
Melbourne median house price
- Increased by 8.1 per cent to $778,000 in the December 2020 quarter and the median unit price increased by 2.2 per cent at $601,000.
- For the 12 months to December 2020, median sales prices in metropolitan Melbourne increased by 12.1 per cent for houses and 10.1 per cent for units.
- The median house price in country Victoria increased by 8.5 per cent, at $445,000
- Units increased by 11.1 per cent to $350,000.
- Over the 12 months to December 2020, median sale prices in country Victoria increased by 12.1 per cent for houses and by 10.1 per cent for units.
- Of the 767 listed Victorian locations, 416 had median house price increases for the December 2020 quarter compared to 250 in the September 2020 quarter.
- Eleven localities recorded no change, 133 showed a decrease and 206 had insufficient sales.
Number of house sales
- The highest number of house sales for the quarter was 350 in Craigieburn.
- There were 39 locations with 100 or more sales in the December 2020 quarter.
The Victorian Property Sales Reports are available on the Property sales statistics page.
Page last updated: 07/06/21