On this page:
Features of the service:
- built on Vicmap - the foundational spatial data that underpins most spatial information in Victoria
- weekly updates (excluding Aerial basemaps and Topographic)
- ongoing services improvements
- open standard web services (WMTS)
- built on highly available, cloud-based IT infrastructure
Vicmap Basemaps are are pre-rendered image tiles (PNG).
For more information, click on the following link
There are three styles of basemaps in three coordinate systems available in the Vicmap Basemaps service.
The styles include:
- Aerial statewide mosaic of satellite and aerial imagery captured by the Vicmap Coordinated Imagery Program (CIP)
- Cartographic a basic colour map
- Overlay a basic colour map styled specifically for overlaying onto the Aerial basemap
- Topographic a detailed colour or greyscale map (NEW!)
Developers can integrate Vicmap Basemaps as a Web Map Service (WMS or WMTS) into any web mapping and GIS desktop application.
Read more about technical information.
Vicmap Basemaps is a licensed and supported product and annual fees can apply.
There is a licence service fee for incorporating Vicmap Basemaps into your business website or web mapping application.
A variety of licensing levels are available from large corporate licences that may use the imagery component in their products to single seat licences for sole traders.
Educational and community groups licences are also available.
Read more about licensing and copyright.
Please contact Vicmap if you are interested in accessing the service
The Vicmap Basemaps service is hosted on infrastructure in the Amazon Web Services cloud and is available 24/7. However, the service is only supported during business hours.
The Vicmap Basemaps - Cartographic and Overlay services are updated weekly over the weekend.
The Vicmap Basemaps - Aerial services are updated annually for Melbourne metropolitan area and every 1-3 years in regional areas. The capture date of imagery varies, but is at least 2 years old.
Vicmap Basemaps - Topographic, are updated anually.
How to get help
Vicmap customers and business custodians can contact the Vicmap team for product information and support via Vicmap@delwp.vic.gov.au
Page last updated: 22/06/23