On this page:
What is Vicmap?
Vicmap is Victoria’s state-wide portfolio of authoritative spatial data products. Our vision is to unlock the power of location for all Victorian’s.
Vicmap is the DNA of government, land and property. They are the #1 datasets on Data.Vic and accessed more than 30 million times a year across our platforms.
It is the unifying connection between things, systems, people and the environment and important for the realisation of economic, social, and environmental benefits.
The Vicmap suite is sourced from hundreds of individual datasets that are integrated to form a portfolio of fundamental spatial themes.
For more statistics, visit our Vicmap Consumer Insights Dashboard.
We operate a data custodian model working with a network of data custodians including Victoria’s 79 Local Government Authorities to aggregate and continuously maintain data . As well as sourcing data directly through the land sub-divisions process authorised data custodians can suggest edits to Vicmap at any time via the Vicmap Editing Service. This means that Vicmap is the most authoritative, statewide foundational suite of spatial data for Victoria.
Vicmap is managed by the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DEWLP).
Read more about what we do in maps and spatial data at DELWP.
How to access Vicmap
DELWP provides easy access to Vicmap data through a number of digital services:
- Spatial Datamart (soon to be replaced by Datashare)
- Vicmap Topographic Maps online
- Vicmap Viewer
- Vicmap Basemaps API
- Image Web Server (for government users only)
Read more in how to access spatial data.
Who can use Vicmap?
Vicmap products are available to all users of spatial data. This includes government, private enterprise, research and academia.
Key uses include:
- Emergency preparedness, response and recovery
- Environmental management and protection
- Infrastructure planning and development
- Land use planning, precinct and region design
- Economic growth and digital innovation
- Liveability and smart city technology
Explore the Vicmap catalogue.
Vicmap is responding to the latest trends in geospatial information management.
We’re exploring new data sources, analytical methods and ways to use technological advances to help build the digital infrastructure Victoria will need in the future.
Our strategic priorities include:
- Rich and dynamic content: Adding detail and attributes through strategic collaborations.
- Streamlined delivery: streamline the delivery and integration of data to enable customers to get the data they need, in the format they want.
- Seamless integration: ensuring different spatial data sources are compatible and internally consistent so they can easily and reliably integrate.
- Analysis-ready data: Delivering standardised data that is available immediately and easy for customers to use.
- Growing spatial capability: Strengthening our capabilities, addressing skills shortages and excelling in new digital ways of working
- Customer at the centre: Placing our customers at the centre of our value chain.
Vicmap has been a part of the state’s primary mapping system since 1975.
Take a journey through maps, spatial data and time in our history of Vicmap storymap.
Explore Vicmap services including:
Page last updated: 27/11/20