On this page:
The Surveyor-General of Victoria
The position of Surveyor-General of Victoria has historical significance and has played a major role in land settlement and land administration within the state. Victoria’s first Surveyor-General was Robert Hoddle who was appointed after separation from New South Wales in 1851.
The Surveyor-General of Victoria is the primary government authority on land surveying and the cadastre (land property boundaries and tenure).
In Victoria, the Surveyor-General of Victoria:
- sets and monitors standards for land surveying
- monitors surveying matters affecting the cadastre
- advises the Minister and the community on surveying matters
The Surveyor-General of Victoria also provides high-level advice to Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on matters relating to land surveying, the survey infrastructure, the positioning system and the cadastre.
The Surveyor-General of Victoria plays a key governance role in Victoria and is also:
- chair of the Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria
- a Commissioner for Electoral Boundaries in Victoria
- a member of the Federal Redistribution Committee for Victoria
- a State Verifying Authority for the measurement of length
Surveyor-General Victoria (SGV)
The Surveyor-General of Victoria oversees the division of Surveyor-General Victoria (SGV) within Land Use Victoria.
The operational teams and primary functions include:
Cadastral Infrastructure and Standards
- Land surveying services and advice for Government infrastructure projects and land dealings
- Regulation and monitoring of cadastral surveying in Victoria
Crown Survey Approval
- Determining and approving Crown land boundaries and Government road alignments
- Plan drafting services for Government infrastructure projects and land dealings
- Crown land status and record management
- Positioning infrastructure including GNSS CORS and survey control mark networks
- Survey mark information services
- Survey equipment calibration services
- High precision geodetic surveys
Secretariat, Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria (SRBV)
- Executive and secretarial support to the SRBV
- Maintenance of the Register of Licensed Surveyors
- Administration of graduate training and professional development programs for surveyors
Page last updated: 23/06/22