On this page:

Mandatory electronic lodgment – 1 October 2018

Requirement 6.5(e) of the Registrar’s Requirements for Paper Conveyancing Transactions stipulates that from 1 October 2018 certain Instruments must be lodged using an Electronic Lodgment Network (ELN). The requirement is summarised below.

From 1 October 2018 if you are an:

  • Australian Legal Practitioner,
  • a Licensed Conveyancer,
  • Authorised deposit-taking institution,
  • ELN Subscriber,

and you are either a Party or acting for a Party in a standalone or combination of

  • Transfer
  • Mortgage / Discharge of mortgage
  • Caveat / Withdrawal of caveat
  • Application by legal personal representative
  • Application by surviving proprietor
  • then the transaction must be lodged using an ELN*

*Property Exchange Australia (PEXA) is currently the only applicable ELN operating in Victoria.

From 1 October 2018, the Registrar will not accept paper lodgment of any of the above Instruments. However, the Registrar will accept paper lodgment if the Instrument(s) cannot be lodged using an ELN for any of the reason(s) set out in the Request to accept paper lodgment form available at www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.gov.au/forms-guides-and-fees/title-management.

Request to accept paper lodgment

The Request to accept paper lodgment form should be used when requesting paper lodgment of a transaction/transactions that, on face value, should be completed using an ELN.

All parties to the transaction must determine when a transaction cannot be lodged using an ELN. However, it is the lodging party who must present the request form at lodgment. When presented, Land Registry staff will accept the transaction(s) and proceed to examination.

The request form is only required for the following Instruments:

  • Transfer
  • Mortgage/Discharge of mortgage
  • Caveat/Withdrawal of caveat
  • Application by legal personal representative
  • Application by surviving proprietor.

The form is not required for Instruments that are currently not required to be lodged using an ELN, such as:

  • Application for lost title 31TLA
  • Application to record an agreement 181PEA.

The Registrar will monitor use of the request form to ensure customers are using it appropriately.

The request form is located online at www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.gov.au/forms-guides-and-fees/title-management. It can also be found at Land Registry Services, Level 1, 2 Lonsdale St, Melbourne.


To receive notification when a Customer Information Bulletin is published, please send an email to lv.cib@delwp.vic.gov.au with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line – include your name and email address in the body of the email.

Contact us

For location and contact details, go to www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.gov.au/contact-us.

Page last updated: 11/07/23