On this page:

About paper lodgment

Electronic lodgment is now mandated for almost all conveyancing transactions (instruments) in Victoria.

If an electronic instrument is mandated, you can only lodge an instrument in paper if you have a valid reason for an exception. Example reasons include:

  • the folio is ineligible for electronic lodgment
  • the instrument type cannot be lodged electronically, e.g a memorandum of common provisions (MCP)
  • only part of the land in a folio is being dealt with

The exceptions are listed in the Request to accept paper lodgment form (DOCX, 38.7 KB). This form must be completed and lodged with all paper instruments.

A small number of instruments are not yet mandated and can still be accepted in paper. However, we strongly prefer these to be lodged electronically if possible. Requirements are often simpler, and processing times are faster, if they are lodged as electronic instruments.

Requirements for lodging

The requirements for paper conveyancing transactions are set out in the Registrar's Requirements for Paper Conveyancing Transactions (DOCX, 871.2 KB).

All parties to a conveyancing transaction must have their identity verified. When a conveyancer or lawyer represents a client, the conveyancer or lawyer must take reasonable steps to verify the identity of their client and have a Client Authorisation. Find out more on our verification of identity page.

If a conveyancer or lawyer acts for a client, they must sign the paper instrument on their client’s behalf.  Before doing this the conveyancer or lawyer must have taken reasonable steps to verify the identity of their client and have a Client Authorisation.

A Client Authorisation authorises the conveyancer or lawyer to act as the client’s agent and to sign paper conveyancing transactions on their behalf.

Client Authorisations allow a conveyancer or lawyer to:

  • execute a specific instrument
  • execute a batch of instruments
  • establish a standing authority until revoked

The client authorisation form is available as both a flatform and a smartform on the ARNECC website.

How to lodge in paper

A completed lodging summary form must be included in any paper lodgment or generic redidual 104 lodgment.

This form must include the lodging party’s contact email address for correspondence, including the lodgment summary or lodgment refusal. The lodgment summary form also confirms the lodging order and fees payable.

Conveyancers, financial institutions and lawyers need to complete the paper instruments first. Once all the documents are ready, please scan and convert them to PDFs. Scanned PDF documents can form part of an instrument to be recorded or be supporting evidence.

Lodge the application in the electronic lodgment network known as PEXA using a 'RECORD – NOTICE – Transfer of Land Act – Section 104' residual document.

Refer to Customer Information Bulletins 200 to 204 for further information.

If you’re a member of the public, we strongly advise you to engage a conveyancer or lawyer and avoid lodging yourself.

You will need to have your identity verified at Australia Post before sending your paper lodgment to:

GPO Box 527
Melbourne VIC 3001

Please make sure you include a phone number so we can contact you to formalise the lodgment and payment.

How to pay

Payment options depend on whether you have a Victorian Online Title System (VOTS) customer code or not.

If you have a VOTS customer code, you must pay by direct debit. You can arrange this by completing the direct debit request form (DOCX, 96.8 KB) and sending us an email.

If you're not sure how to complete the form, please check with your financial institution. We can't give you advice about which account types to use. Please also closely check your account details to make sure your payment isn’t rejected.

If you don’t have a VOTS customer code, you must pay using a Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card. You must also provide a daytime phone number on your lodging documents.

We will call you after lodgment to process your card payment. Payment will be confirmed over the phone and we will not retain any written records of the card used in the transaction. We will send a receipt to you by post.

Please note we do not accept cheques or money orders.

How to complete forms

Each form contains fields and a signing section that must be completed to successfully lodge your application. All forms are available on our fees, guides and forms page, along with guides to help complete some of the more common transactions.

If completing a form by hand, information should be legibly written in black or blue ink. The use of correction fluid or self-correcting typewriter ribbon is not allowed.

Signing by conveyancers or lawyers

If you’re a conveyancer or lawyer, please select:

  • Australian Legal Practitioner or
  • Licensed Conveyancer

If a supervised non-practitioner employee is signing, please select:

  • Law Practice or
  • Conveyancing Practice.

The form will auto-populate a signing section and display the required certifications when these are selected.

Signing by people not using a conveyancer or lawyer

If you don’t have a conveyancer or lawyer, select 'Leave blank' in the form. The form will then automatically generate a signing section.

Deciding how many signing sections to complete

If there is one applicant, then only one signing section is required.

If there are two applicants, both must have signing sections.

If you have both a relinquishing party and receiving party, the form is not considered complete until there is a signing section for each party.

Page last updated: 16/09/22