14 March 2023
About the Victorian Property Sales Report
The aim of the Victorian Property Sales Report is to present factual information relating to property sales occurring throughout Victoria over a period of 15 months.
The Victorian Property Sales Report provides the most comprehensive quarterly property data available. It represents 93 per cent of settled sales across the state and is based on official Notices of Acquisition.
Valuer-General Victoria commentary
Valuer-General Victoria has provided commentary for the September 2022 quarter – released March 2023.
The figures for the quarter are preliminary and represent 93 per cent of expected settled sales.
Median house price in Victoria
- Decreased by 6.3 per cent from $800,000 to $750,000 in the September 2022 quarter, having increased by 1.9 per cent in the previous quarter (March 2022 to June 2022).
Median price of units in Victoria
- Decreased by 4.9 per cent from $615,000 to $585,000 in the September 2022 quarter, having increased by 1.7 per cent in the previous quarter.
- The median price of units in Victoria for the September 2022 quarter was lower than the median price of houses.
Melbourne median house price
- Decreased by 6.6 per cent to $850,000 in the September 2022 quarter and the median unit price decreased by 5.2 per cent to $601,000.
- For the 12 months to September 2022, median sales prices in metropolitan Melbourne decreased by 0.5 per cent for houses and decreased by 3.1 per cent for units.
- The median house price in country Victoria decreased by 2.1 per cent, to $568,000
- Units decreased by 1.2 per cent to $415,000.
- Over the 12 months to September 2022, median sale prices in country Victoria increased by 11.4 per cent for houses and by 10.5 per cent for units.
- Of the 799 listed Victorian locations, 138 had median house price increases for the September 2022 quarter compared to 258 in the June 2022 quarter.
- Ten localities recorded no change, 328 showed a decrease and 323 had insufficient sales.
Number of house sales
- The highest number of house sales for the quarter was 270 in Tarneit.
- There were 21 locations with 100 or more sales in the September 2022 quarter.
The Victorian Property Sales Reports are available on the Property sales statistics page.
Page last updated: 11/07/23